When it comes to network security, it is easy for small to medium sized businesses to say “not me”, “they are only after the big guys.” The reality is that attacks on all networks have been increasing year after year as hackers have become more sophisticated, and small businesses are being affected every day by relaxed or non-existent security policies.
Smaller businesses are at greater risk!
The threat of ransomware is becoming widespread among all business, with almost half of U.S. businesses suffering an attack from the devastating form of Ransomware “WannaCry” recently. According to a study, performed by security firm Malwarebytes, found in June, 2016 that 41 percent of U.S. businesses had at least encountered between one to five ransomware attacks in the previous 12 months
WannaCry made the headlines not just because of its scale, but because of the high-profile nature of its victims. Yet, more often than not, it is small- and medium-sized businesses which are often targeted with ransomware. According to Datto, a leading Backup and Disaster Recovery company, they surveyed, which involved surveying 148 IT service providers, 87 percent reported that their small and medium sized clients had been targeted by ransomware in the 12 months up to September 2016. More shockingly, 27 percent had been targeted with multiple attacks in the same day.
There are a number of ways PC Paladins in Jackson helps to ensure that you are at minimum risk:
- Updates - Keeping computers and network equipment updated is one of the most effective steps to preventing a possible network security issue.
- Firewall - A common mistake in small to medium business networks is the lack of a business grade firewall solution. Often business owners are unaware of the difference between having a network router and having a network firewall in place.
- Passwords - Password and password protection are proving to be an area that needs attention when discussing network security. Using sophisticated software and tools, hackers are easily gaining access to small business networks through simple or default passwords
- Antivirus/Antispam - Most people know that antivirus and antispam software are necessary components of network security, but many people don’t realize why its so important until their computer or network is infected with a virus, malware, spyware, or a host of other potentially dangerous issues.
- Backup and Data Recovery – When disaster happens (not if), Pc Paladins can have a Disaster Recovery Plan in place to bring your company back online without having to pay a high ransom.
No matter the size of your business, network security is a definite requirement for every business in the digital age. If you are worried or unsure of where to start with an internal security audit, our team can help get you on track.